Esther Lemus, a Windsor School Board member, Deputy District Attorney, Berkeley and UCLA Law graduate, mother, and proud Windsor resident is ready to work together with all of Windsor’s residents to create an even better Windsor – one to be enjoyed by both current and future generations.
The youngest of five daughters, Esther was born and raised in Santa Rosa and moved to Windsor with her parents when she was in high school. After high school, Esther left Windsor to attend college at UC Berkeley following in the footsteps of her older sister. After graduation, Esther enrolled at UCLA School of Law, becoming the first member of her family to attend and graduate from law school.
Esther began her career in public service while working for the United States Department of Justice as an Assistant United States Attorney for the United States Attorney’s Offices in both the Northern and Southern Districts of California. After meeting her husband, Doug, and the birth of their first daughter, Esther returned to Sonoma County to be closer to family while continuing her public service in her new role as a Deputy District Attorney for the Sonoma County District Attorney’s Office. In 2008, Esther returned to Windsor with her young family and was appointed to the Windsor School Board in 2015. In November 2016, Esther was re-elected to the remaining two years of her seat on the Windsor School Board.
As a working parent with two young daughters, Esther has a deep understanding of the many challenges facing local families and Windsor residents.
She brings her years of proven leadership as a longtime community leader and public servant to ensure that community concerns are addressed. Esther is also dedicated to working in partnership with all of Windsor’s residents, local businesses, non-profit organizations, and governmental entities to bring about long-term positive results for the entire Windsor community.
Esther has served the Windsor and Sonoma County communities in the following roles:
- Past President & Current School Board Member, Windsor Unified School District
- Member, LCAP Committee, Windsor Unified School District
- Member, Policy & Facilities Subcommittees, Windsor Unified School District
- Board Liaison, Windsor Middle School, Cali Calmecac Language Academy, Brooks Elementary School
- Steering Committee Member, Partnering to Keep Kids in School, County-Wide Truancy Abatement Program
- Deputy District Attorney assigned to Domestic Violence Treatment Court
- Deputy District Attorney assigned to Mental Health Treatment Court
- Deputy District Attorney assigned as sole “Safe Neighborhoods D.A.,” focused on community education, crime prevention, & community outreach
- Deputy District Attorney assigned to handle cases in General Felonies, Misdemeanors, and Juvenile Divisions
- Member, Violence Prevention Partnership, City of Santa Rosa
- Steering Committee Member, Gang Prevention Strategy, Calgrip Gang Prevention Grant
- Subcommittee Member, Planning Committee for first ever Parents’ Gang Awareness Training, Violence Prevention Partnership, City of Santa Rosa
- Coordinator and Presenter for Sonoma County District Attorney’s G.I.F.T. Program (Gun Violence Information for Teens Program)
- Coordinator and Presenter for Sonoma County District Attorney’s G.R.E.A.T. Program (Gang Resistance Education and Training Program which is taught in public schools)
- Coordinator and Presenter for Sonoma County District Attorney’s #iSMART Program (Social Media safety and crime prevention program which is taught in public schools & to professionals who work with youth)
- Former Member, Sonoma County School Attendance Review Board (SARB)
- Board Member, College Tee Project (focused on creating a college-going culture for all students, with special emphasis on first generation students)
While serving in these various roles and serving the Town of Windsor and Sonoma County, Esther has accomplished many things. To view a list of some of her amazing accomplishments, please CLICK HERE.